Saturday, October 12, 2013

One Year Ago This Month

One year ago this month, Esme wrote a journal entry about an act of violence she witnessed. In her own words, she describes her feelings at witnessing this event.

                                                                     ***


So, my last week prayer request was for  the violence in our street to stop. 

So what happened to me last week was I was going to this new ice cream shop. They barely opened, so me and my cousin and brothers were walking like at 10.30 at night and all the sudden what we saw was some gangbangers beating on a teenager. 

What I experienced was bad. I felt like they were treating and beating on the guy like if he was a dog or garbage. I realize that that some people don’t realize what’s happening in our environment outside. I never realized myself until I saw it. It was some kind of bad experienced i will never forget. Someone needs to step up and be brave.

*** 
We were writing this, then Yaneth says, "Nobody stands up to them, because they are scared."

"I would," said Helen.

 "You would? But, then they would take a gun to prove themselves that they are tough." 
                     
                                                                             Esme, 2012-2013 BLING APPRENTICE 

No comments:

Post a Comment